In 1945, Van de Peppel laid the foundation for the Dutch branch of Chugoku
Paints BV, when he started producing paint for his own painting company in
Rotterdam. Soon after the fi rm was established, other painting companies
also came to him for their paint and Van de Peppel sold paint for do-it-yourselfers
With the demand for paint products growing, in 1952 a paint
wholesalers was set up to supply painting companies, industry
and trade. The combination of in-house production and
wholesaling proved a great success. Production eventually increased
so far that the company was forced to move to bigger
premises, which they found in Oud-Beijerland. After extensive
renovations, the paint factory opened in 1963, with a production
capacity of no less than 500,000 litres per year. Ten years later,
the factory was taken over by Camrex Ltd. This English paint
manufacturer specialised in supplying coatings for the shipping
industry and needed a support centre on the continental mainland.
In 1979, the company moved to Fijnaart, where an entirely
new plant was built, with a production capacity of 2,000,000
litres per year.
Expansion under Chugoku flag
The Japanese company, Chugoku, was established in 1917
as Chugoku Chemical Industry. Chugoku focused primarily on
paint for marine vessels so, in 1923, the name was changed to
Chugoku Marine Paints (CMP). Since the 1980s, Chugoku has
been operating increasingly internationally. In 1988, for example,
the Camrex paint factory started producing under the name of
Chugoku. Camrex had gone bankrupt a number of years earlier.
Since the bankruptcy, the paint factory in Fijnaart had continued
operating independently. The new Japanese owner increased
production capacity to 5,000,000 litres per year.
In response to the worldwide demand for eco-protection, on
18 July 2001 CMP declared that this was a priority issue and
began focusing fully on the Coatings Care programme.
Coatings Care means the protection of the environment, health
and safety. CMP is also the world leader in ecological paints
In response to the
worldwide demand for
18 July 2001 CMP
declared that this was
a priority issue.